Cold Water Immersion Benefits
Cold water immersion is an ancient practice that has roots in many different cultures, particularly those in high latitudes. It is not a new trend that just hit the mainstream. There are tons of studies and health benefits to exposing the body to cold temperatures. Cold water immersion can come in many forms: a cold shower, ice barrel, cold water tank, or just jumping into a body of cold water. Ideally, anywhere between 1-10 minutes at 45-55 degrees Fahrenheit will do the job. For beginners, start with cold showers and progress to cold plunges. Try to increase your time as you get more accustomed to the temperatures. Many cold plungers also incorporate breathwork into their plunge, taking rapid, deep, and powerful breaths to circulate their blood and get the full benefits. Here are some proven benefits below.
- Increases your happiness
- Boosts your immune system.
- Combats inflammation and arthritis with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Boosts your metabolism and helps with weight loss.
- Improves your circulation.
- Promotes lymphatic drainage.
- Stimulate the vagus nerve.
- Increases thermogenesis (control your heat).
- Heightens your discipline and focus.
I highly recommend looking into cold water immersion. There are a ton of ways to implement them into your weekly routines and will be very beneficial to not only your training but everyday life.
Jermaine Hough Jr.